17 June, 2007

My letter to my fellowship members after being condemned by a full time staff at my church

Dear all

Some of you are interested to know what happen to me regarding the 'outfit' issue.

I was planning to discuss it in our fellowship, but i find it very rude not to reply to your enquiry, i would give u an outline now.


The sunday on 9.6, i was late for sunday school, it was raining heavily so i rush out home in my usually casual but not inappropriate dress: t-shirt (ordinary one) + jean skirt (ordinary length) + sandles (because i only wear sandles in the summer, i even wear sandles to office if i dont go to court)


Then i take mini bus from Kennedy Town to Mongkok, change MTR and walk to church. that means i do make an effort (big or not) to come to church. i can easily go back to sleep in this horrible weather.


i was too late for sunday school, therefore i stand at the mini library and read a book waiting for the service to begin


Ms. Liu (a full time staff at my church) walked pass, scan me from head to toe, then say: I wont' dress like that if i were u. i never wear sandles to the street for a distance longer than the store downstairs, this is too.....um....隨便....u dont dress this kind of stuff to church and u better not wear it like that anymore

(end of my story)


Some of u make a suggestion for me to take a photo of myself in my outfit that day for 'judgement' of people. i find it utterly inappropriate to do so for the following reasons:


1) I am sure Jesus wont' disallow me going to church in whatever outfit. this is not the point of christianity as i understand

2) Christian shouldn't be judgmental on non strict black and white stuff

3) I dont need to please anyone or asking for anyone's support (majority or minority view). If i do, why should i turn to christ

4) Different people has different style and standard on outfit. i dont think it's appropriate to set a dress code at church let alone that there is no such dress code now in Woo Chuen. It would be interesting to see them setting one. I rather they set it publicly and require everyone to follow then to critize each one of them in private randomly. What difference does that make us from catholic or Pharisees.


Let me ask you this: do u rather have a bunch of people going to church all in black suit but they dont come with their heart and do all sorts of evil thing outside the church or u dont really care how people dress so long as they come with their heart? I am sure if a girl dressing in the most crazy outfit suddenly decides to go to church after all night fever in disco. u would still welcome her. would you?


I think it's Satan's very smart trick this time because he would do anything to prevent people from going to church and he would do it in a very discreet and sneaky way.


i was very very upset and thinking how stupid and nonsense it is for someone in an official capacity to make such a very non-smart criticism in the most inappripriate way and timing.
it was very easy for me not going church anymore and stop people from going (because i can tell them how conservative, stubborn, inflexible, insensitive, frustrating, not considerate it was). but somehow, after praying, the Lord comfort my heart and tell me to understand and forgive.


So here i am, still in church (and someone might still think in an "inappropriate look")
but truly, Ms. Liu was taking too much of a risk when she make that kind of criticism. if the recipient is not mature enough or not listening to the Lord, then it would be very bad for the church and a total waste of time for those out there (including myself) trying to tell others the good news and persuade people going to church.

No comments: